Homecoming Build 2014
The 2014 Homecoming Build is on its way. We are currently in the planning process, and are really excited to share all the news. Homecoming is October 25th, 2014, and the build will be from Oct. 14th - the 24th. Stay tuned for more info. Meanwhile, learn about our Homecoming Build 2014 house owner:
FAMILY PROFILE: Peggy McMullen – 4221 Hey Rock Court
Peggy McMullen is a native Charlottean. She has a son and a daughter, both of whom are grown and on their own, and several grandchildren. Miss Peggy works at Irwin Academic Center, an elementary school uptown, where she has been on the custodial staff for the past year – and she loves her job! She attends church regularly and stays busy with sober social activities in her free time.
Miss Peggy entered the Habitat Charlotte homeownership program in May of 2013. She has attended 10 weeks of homeownership classes and has worked another 150 hours helping us on other people’s homes, working at our ReStore, assisting with orientation for folks interested in applying for the program – and whatever else we needed help with! Miss Peggy is up for anything, and has been 100% enthusiastic about working with Habitat over the last year – and we have enjoyed every minute of it!
Miss Peggy can’t wait to move to her new home, which will be on a nice street in a quiet neighborhood, surrounded by a number of other Habitat homeowners, many of whom are friends from her homeownership class. She is anxious to say goodbye to apartment living and to have some space to call her own. She is working hard and saving her money – and planning her vacation time so she can be out on site and help with the construction of her new home!
Thanks to the UNC Charlotte Habitat Campus Chapter for helping make Miss Peggy’s dream come true!
Check out our awesome Partners/Sponsors without them, Homecoming Build would be impossible.
Homecoming Build 2013
UNC Charlotte's First Football Game was played this Fall, on October 12, 2013.
Our Campus Chapter began a tradition that centered on UNC Charlotte's Football Homecoming. By sponsoring a Habitat for Humanity house from start to finish, we were able to provide a deserving family a homecoming of their own.
How It Worked
- Construction began on UNC Charlotte's campus
- Volunteers built from October 1st - October 11th, and the home was revealed at the homecoming game on October 12th
- The home was then transported to its final location and placed on its foundation
The on-campus build cost a total of $85,000:
$70,000 for complete home sponsorship, and $15,000 to move the home from campus to its final location.
Why UNC Charlotte, Why We Did It?
- To provide a deserving Charlotte family with a new home and leave a lasting legacy of service surrounding UNC Charlotte’s football program.
- To showcase the university’s commitment to giving back to the Charlotte community.
- To unite the UNC Charlotte alumni, faculty, staff and students around a meaningful volunteer opportunity, and an exciting milestone for the university.
- To engage local businesses and corporations in mutual partnership.
Check out some of the highlights from our Homecoming Build 2013. For more pictures, check out our Facebook page:
In Partnership, UNC-Charlotte Habitat For Humanity Campus Chapter.
What will you build?
What will you build?